Thursday, March 24, 2016

EVEN EXPERIENCED BIRDERS CONTINUE TO LEARN

Red-bellied Woodpecker

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker

(Photos courtesy of Sharon Milligan)

If you would like to read more articles and see more photos click on the blue title.


I suppose that one who is regarded as a teacher is expected to know it all, or most of it. Or at least pretend to. That would be pretentious. Actually, there are very few finites in birding; whether it's done at a professional or an amateur level, there is always something to be learned as we pursue the excitement, the wonder, and the adventure of birding.
   
    From a learning standpoint, some of my most gratifying moments have come just a few steps outside my door, and, surprisingly, they involve birds that are quite common.
    Just yesterday morning, I stepped outside for a listen (it works for me). The sounds went onto a mental list --- Mourning Doves, Eurasian Collared-Doves, Blue Jays, Fish Crows --- commoners, every one. I heard a one-note cry, baby-like, sort of "mewing," and it was sounding at about 8-second intervals. I confidently added Yellow-billed Sapsucker to the log, even though I couldn't recall hearing one call so persistently in the past.
    But I decided to stay out there for a while, and the more I listened, the less confident I became. For one thing, I couldn't find the bird. For another, the sounds continued for well over an hour, from the same place, fairly high up in the oaks. I thought to myself that it might have been a squirrel, but it didn't sound quite "squirrely" enough.
    The situation demanded a follow-through, so I spent another good half-hour scanning up and down the trunks and heavy tree limbs, to no avail. No sapsucker, no squirrel.
    I picked it up again later in the day, because I couldn't let things stay unresolved. I decided that the sound was coming from directly above me. Wry-neck had set in before I found a sapsucker, about 40 feet overhead; it was well-blended into the bark, and wearing the swaddling clothes that nature endows upon juvenile sapsuckers --- not a trace of red (adult males have red atop their heads, and red throats while adult females have only the red crowns).
    I came inside, picked up the Sibley guide and there read that young yellow-bellieds retain that juvenile plumage until March. I wouldn't have learned that if I hadn't been goosed by the bug of curiosity. And, I would have pondered over the sound for the rest of my life. Now I know that my self-confidence was not misplaced, and that's a good feeling.
    It happens that just as I was about to come back inside, I heard the distinguishable notes (says I) of a Red-bellied Woodpecker, and saw its silhouette against a distant tree. It flew closer, into the light, and I looked, just because the Red-bellied is a handsome bird. Imagine my surprise when I saw that its head was golden/orange. Had I been in Texas or Oklahoma, I wouldn't have given it a second thought. I would have said to myself, "Golden-fronted Woodpecker." And that's because we all drift into the habit of identifying birds by our expectations and our geographical orientations.
    I remembered a day many years ago when a call came in from Ocean Springs; a Golden-fronted Woodpecker was hanging out in a yard that had once been an orchard. That spiked an invasion of birders before the sun had risen over the yardarm. It was easy to find the bird and it certainly looked like a Golden-fronted Woodpecker.
    We just didn't look far enough, and I didn't learn my lesson until after I called my personal walking field guide, Kenn Kaufman in Arizona, at an absurdly early hour for there. He suggested we look at the rump and tail, and he further suggested that we consider "aberrant" plumage, but he had used a scientific word.
    Aberrant plumage happens with many birds; our "Golden-fronted" was actually a "Red-bellied" with too much yellow pigment. The word Kenn had used is xanthochroism --- a dominance of yellow coloration in the absence of normal amounts of darker pigments. It's a very rare condition in wild birds.
    With that egg-on-face memory dancing around in my head, I took a good look at my yellow-headed Red-bellied Woodpecker, focusing on its rump and tail, noting the black-barred rump patch and the white central tail feathers. How interesting that I have seen xanthochroism only twice, both on the Coast, and both instances involved a Red-bellied Woodpecker!
    And I must again recommend the Sibley guide, which brings to the fore some lessons that I have learned the hard way.

This article was published in March 2002

1 comment: